Weaving the Mekong into the Southeast Asia
Fellowship Program 2009 and 2010
We would like to announce the opening of applications for the Weaving the Mekong into Southest Asia: WMESEA Fellowship Program, which is supported by the Rockefeller Foundation. Five fellowships will be granted to Cambodian, Laotian, Vietnamese, and Thai graduate students at 20-35 years of age in order to study for a Mater Degree in Southeast Asian Studies at Chulalongkorn University, Thailand. (More details on website: http://www.weavingmekong.org)
The objective of the “Weaving Mekong into Southeast Asian Fellowship” is to provide support in building up personnel and knowledge of Southeast Asian Studies including network relationship and regional understanding, which will enhance future development of the region.
The fellowship program will cover the following:
- A round trip economy airfare from the recipient’s country of resisdence to Bangkok
- Tuition and service fees for the Intensive English Language Proficiency Training, for the International Master Degree Program in Southeast Asian Studies for three consecutive semesters.
- A living allowance of 20,000 baht per month for not more than a total of 21 months For a Thai recipient who is a resident of either the Bangkok Metropolitan area or a nearby province, the living allowances will be adjusted in an appropriate way on a case-by-case basis
- A total allowance of 50,000 baht per month for all books, study materials, and thesis-related expenses
- A health insurance package for hostitalization in Thailand for Non – Thai recipients.
The application form and full details are also attached. The deadline for receiving the application form is 17 April, 2009 for Fellowship Year 2009/ and 16 April, 2010 for Fellowship Year 2010.
- Age: 20 – 35 years old
- Nationality: Lao, Cambodian, Vietnamese or Thai
- Residence: permanent resident of Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, or Thailand, and ready to return home after gradution
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in any field of study
- Career: relevant to Sountheast Asian Studies
- Interest: Keen in issues concerning Sountheast Asia
- Essay written on a separate sheet of paper with your full name clearly marked on the top of each page, not exceeding two typed pages. The essay should include a brief description of your study or research plan, field of interest and your reasons for wishing to pursure them. Include reasons which tie your plan to study in the MA program in Southeast Asian Studies at Chulalongkorn University to your future academic and/or career goals, and the reasons why you need financial support from the fellowship. Your reaserach plan is the most important part and will be seriously considered. The topic of your reasearch should be on areas related to Sountheast Adian cross border issues.
- Test of English Proficiency: Accepted are TOEFL, IELTS or local English Language Test, i.e. CU-TEP in Thailand, ITP: Institutional Testing Program in Cambodia. In case you do not have an English Test score, other evidence showing your good command of English must provided; for excample, a transcript with English course scores or grades.
- Original copy of transcript of your bachelor’s degree study
- Original copy of your bachlor’s degree
- Two letters of recommendation preferably one from the applicant’s professor, the other from the applicant’s employer
- Completed application form * with the applicant’s two-inched photo attached on it
Sountheast Asian Studies
Graduate School, Chulalongkown University, Bangkok, Thailand
Tel: (662) 2189848, (662) 2189849 Fax: (662) 252-4837